Café opens on course of old railway
A new café at the bottom of St Catherine’s Hill, Winchester, is now open following its official launch on Sunday 29th September.
The Handlebar Café, a community café and bike workshop in the shape of two train carriages, is the brainchild of a group of local teenagers who five years ago worked with Hampshire-based charity Spud, to design a bicycle café located on the old Didcot, Newbury and Southampton railway. This section of the railway was the last to open, in 1891, and closed in 1966.
After support from local businesses, individuals and local authorities, over £350,000 was raised, turning their concept into a reality.
Over 1,000 people attended the launch event, and were encouraged to walk or cycle sporting a ‘handlebar’ moustache. The five teenagers, Alex Grice, Sebbie McDonald Maskell, Nick Tsangaris, Joshua Snow and George Judge, who were part of the original design team and have now completed or are about to start studying architecture at university, officially opened the café.
Guests at the opening included the Mayor of Winchester and Bishop David of Basingstoke.