Victorian station house threatened with demolition
Plans have been submitted for the demolition of the station master’s house at Winchester Chesil railway station, which closed in the 1960s.
A developer wishes to build four new homes on the site of the Victorian house, which is above the entrance to the tunnel under St Giles’ Hill.
The station master’s house is one of the few remaining parts of Chesil station, which opened in 1885 on the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway. The main station buildings and platforms were demolished after the line closed and a multi-storey car park now stands on the site.
People can comment on the plans on Winchester City Council’s website, via tinyurl.com/chesilstation.